Churches and Chapels
Church of England
St. Paul, Avenue Rd (1860) Bombed in 1940, demolished 1958.
Ebenezer Strict Baptist Chapel,
New End, Christchurch Passage (1825)
St. Andrew's United. Reform Church, corner of Finchley Rd. and Frognal Lane, originated as Presbyterian Church (1897)
Trinity, High Street (1862-1962)
Quakers (Society of Friends)
Friends met in Willoughby Rd. (1903)
Hampstead Wesleyan Church, corner of High Street and Prince Arthur Rd (1870) demolished about 1934. (See Virtual Tour - Hampstead Village for picture)
Little Church Row (1780) Relocated to Mill Lane, West Hampstead in the late 1880s. Closed c1977.
New College chapel, corner of Upper Avenue and
Adelaide Road (1853)
Convent of the Sisters of Providence,198
Sion chapel, at Belsize House, about 1710 to 1720 for irregular marriages, fees for weddings being waived for those who had their wedding dinner in the gardens.
Well Walk chapel or Hampstead chapel (proprietary). Opened 1725 in the Pump Room at Hampstead wells
This is not an exhaustive list. For a more complete list, together with history etc click here and put in the search box the term "Hampstead Education".
A charity school for the poor, possibly at the workhouse, existed in 1731
A Boarding Academy for Young Gentlemen, name unknown, a preparatory school, occupied Norway House in the High Street. No more information as yet.
All Souls' Church of England, Fairhazel Gardens, Belsize Rd circa 1860. Closed by 1951.
Fitzjohn's Primary, 86A Fitzjohn's Avenue. Opened 1954, incorporating the fine schoolroom and chapel designed by Wm. Munt and built in 1858 for Royal Soldiers' Daughters' Home in the grounds of Vane House. Painting by Lindy Newman
Hampstead Parochial C of E Primary, Holly Bush Vale. Day school for the poor founded in 1788 by the PhiloInvestigists Society.
Christ Church C of E Primary, Christchurch Hill, New End under construction 1854.
Holy Trinity C of E Primary, Trinity Walk, Maresfield Gdns. Opened 1873
Mount View, Greenhill Road (now Fitzjohn's Avenue). No details as yet
Miss Louise Bush, ladies' school, College Villas - 1866-71 map
Misses C & J Drury, ladies' school 15 Finchley New Road 1866-71 map
Miss Eliza Edwards, ladies' school, 19 Finchley New Road 1866-71 map
Miss Noble's, 6 High Street. Constable's daughter Emily attended, but I haven't been able to find any more details yet.
Mr Clark's at North End. A Miss Smallwood had the school before Mr Clark. No more details as yet.
Mr Goldsmith's, Heath Mount, near White Stone Pond. Building pulled down in 1934.
New End Primary, Streatley Place. Opened 1906
Rosary R.C. Primary, 238 Haverstock Hill. Formerly Bartrams R.C. School at orphanage run by Sisters of Providence from c. 1867
Rosslyn Hill British School, Willoughby Rd, opened by Rosslyn Hill Unitarian church between 1862 and 1869 in the former chapel.
St. John's Chapel, Downshire Hill, 1830s
St. Mary's, Primrose Hill, 4 Ainger Rd. Opened by 1871.
St. Mary's RC, Holly Place. established by 1833
St. Paul's Parochial School, King's College Road Mews, Adelaide Road, from 1870
St Stephen's Elementary, 2 rooms in crypt of St. Stephen's, Rosslyn Hill opened 1870
Samuel Hoare's British School, New End. Opened by 1811
The Royal Soldiers' Daughters' Home, 65 Rosslyn Hill, founded at Rosslyn House in 1855 to relieve the families of soldiers in the Crimea
The Royal Sailors' Orphan Girls' School and Home opened in Hampstead in 1862 at Frognal House
University College school founded in 1830 in Gower Street as part of University College, London. When the college became part of London University in 1907, the school became a separate corporation and moved to Hampstead, where the preparatory school was already established
University College preparatory school, opened 1891, at Holly Hill House