The Virtual Tour  of Hampstead

East Heath

Sandy Heath

Hampstead Village

West Heath


Family History



Extracts from The Hampstead & Highgate Express

11th January 1873

A Lazy Pauper - Patrick Murphy, 28, labourer, no home, was charged with refusing to work while an inmate of the casual ward at the Hampstead Workhouse. 21 days imprisonment.

Embezzlement & Theft by a milkman - Richard Lilley, 28, milk carrier, of 57 Haverstock Road, Kentish Town, was brought up on remand in custody of Sergeant Grimwood charged with the embezzlement of the sum of 9s 10d received for and on account of his employer, Joseph Pickett, farmer, of South End, also with stealing the sums of 6s and 3s 4d, the property of the said Joseph Pickett.

Died - Mr Bridge of Hill House, North End, who died suddenly at his place of business last week, was interred in Kensal Green Cemetery  on Thursday. Mr Golden of High Street, aged 73, Wednesday, interred Highgate Cemetery.

18th January 1873

On Thursday afternoon a child named Ellen Drake was accidentally run over in Belsize Park, by a horse and cart driven by a man named White of 6 Abbey Terrace, St John's Wood.

At the Middlesex Sessions on the 6th inst, Elizabeth Ida Symes of 1 Palmerston Road, Kilburn, charged with breaking and entering the dwelling house of Jane Elizabeth Barclay of the Hermitage, Child's Hill and doing damage to the amount of 50 and further assaulting Edmund Spence Symes on 23rd November 1872.

25th January 1873

On Tuesday last, a girl named Fanny Richings, aged 16, left her home at 13 Devonshire Place, Child's Hill, about 1.30 in the day and has not been seen since.

An emigrant ship called the Northfleet with over 400 persons on board was run down by a foreign steamer in the channel late on Wednesday night, resulting in the loss of 327 of the passengers and crew. Amongst the passengers lost was Henry Balls, 14, who was on his way to Tasmania with his Uncle, Arthur Gwillian, who also seems to have been lost. The lad was the stepson of Mr Gardner, landlord of the Railway Tavern, South End Green.

Jeremiah Stevens, 68, gardener, of 6 Prospect Place, Finchley was charged with attempting to commit suicide by cutting his throat with a razor on the 23rd ult.

Isabella Martin, 41, of 14 Ada Villas, Finchley, was charged with being drunk and incapable on Highgate Hill. Fined 20s and costs, or 7 days imprisonment in default.

1st February 1873

George Queen, alias "Coffee", a roadsman in the employ of the Hampstead Vestry, of 5 Kilburn Lane, Kilburn, was charged on remand from Monday with stealing a loin of mutton from the shop of George Tombs, butcher, of Little Church Row on the 25th inst.

William Carter, fishmonger, of 74 Chalk Farm Road, was summoned for driving furiously down Haverstock Hill on 24th inst.

8th February 1873

A large congregation assembled at Christ Church on Thursday morning last to witness the marriage of Miss Mary Ann Haynes, daughter of Mr Haynes of Wildwood, North End, to Mr Alfred Harris Tucker.

Arthur Rosbrook, 23, labourer, or 4 Flask Walk, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, using obscene language and refusing to quit the Flask Tavern on the previous night. Fined 5s.

Michael Concannon, 47, of 5 New End, Hampstead, a sergeant of the 1st Royal East Middlesex Militia, was charged with being drunk and disorderly the previous night. Fined 5s.

George Wells of 17 Bolton Road, Kilburn was summoned for neglecting to contribute to the maintenance of his wife, whereby she became chargeable to the parish of St John Hampstead. He was ordered to pay 2s 6d per week.

Mary Bartlett, 65, charwoman, of 42 Weedington Road, was charged with begging of the foot passengers in Belsize Park Gardens.

22nd February 1873

On Wednesday last, a poor man named Jacob Bryant, was brought up from Kilburn to the Hampstead Work House in a state of ill health and expired immediately on his admission. Inquest on Saturday morning. An inquest will also be held on a child named Frank Connolly, aged 4m, who died suddenly at South Hill Park on Monday last.

7th June 1873

Mr James Grimwood of South End Green who for many years occupied the position of station sergeant or acting inspector at the Hampstead Police Station, has just retired with a first rate character and a well earned pension of 69 6s.8d per annum. Served 24 years.

John Martin, labourer, of Loudouns Cottages, Church Row Mews, was charged on summonses with assaulting Elizabeth and Sarah Windebank, mother and daughter of Flask Terrace, Flask Walk, on Monday night.

Bridget Flemming, 75, washer woman, having no home, was charged with sleeping in the open air in South Hill Park on the previous night and having no visible means of subsistence.

6th January 1900

A Sad Christmas Eve

At the St Pancras Coroner's Court on Thursday, Dr G Danford Thomas held an inquest respecting the death of Marie Deacon, aged 45, spinster, lately residing in Maitland Park Road, Haverstock Hill. The mother of the deceased, it appeared, died on Christmas eve, and since then the latter had been inconsolable in her grief. Her mind apparently became affected, for although, as her brother testified, she was a most loving and dutiful daughter, she repeatedly, said "I murdered my darling mother". On Monday morning she left home ostensibly to go to a place of business, but never went there, and at noon that day Joseph Nicholl, lock-keeper at the Regent's Canal, Chalk Farm Road, found the body of Miss Deacon floating in the water. She still wore her bonnet, and had her right hand in a muff. Dr D Barry ascribed death to suffocation by drowning, and the jury found that she committed suicide whilst temporarily insane through grief.

Fatality to a Cabman

On Thursday Dr G Danford Thomas, the coroner, received information of the death of Alfred George White, aged 34 years, a cabman, lately living at Camberwell. It appears that on Wednesday night the deceased was driving a horse and hansom cab through Aberdare Gardens where some repairs are being done in the roadway, in consequence of which poles are placed up. It is alleged that at the time of the occurrence there was no light burning, the result being that the cab collided with the poles and the driver was thrown from his cab into the roadway, thereby receiving severe injuries. The police removed him to St Mary's Hospital, where, notwithstanding that everything possible was done for him, he died on Thursday from the injuries received.

Death From Falls

On Thursday Dr G Danford Thomas held an inquest at the Dispensary Hall, New End, on the body of William Heaver, aged 46, who succumbed in the Hampstead Hospital to injuries received by a fall on 23rd December. William Heaver, a labourer in the employ of the St Pancras Vestry, father of the deceased man, identified the body as that of his son, who was a single man and had been employed as a pot man at the Roebuck Hotel, Pond Street, for a number of years. Witness had not seen him for some time past. William Raymond, a labourer living at Heath Villas, Vale of Health, deposed that on 23rd December he was passing down Pond Street, and saw the deceased lying on the pavement outside the Roebuck Hotel and an overturned chair by his side. He was unconscious and was taken to the Hampstead Hospital. Witness understood that he has been standing on the  chair to light the gas. Mr W J Harris, the proprietor of the Roebuck Hotel stated that the deceased had worked for him for many years. It was his duty to light the outside lamp, but he had a proper long stick for the purpose, and he had no need to stand on a chair. On the day in question, witness was called outside, and found him  in an injured condition, having apparently fallen off the chair. He was at once sent to the hospital in a cab. He gave no explanation of how he fell. Dr E Collingwood Andrews, of Finchley Road deposed that he had had the deceased under his care at the Hospital. He was suffering from a broken nose and concussion of the brain and spine. He developed bronchitis, which was the actually cause of death, accelerated by the injuries. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Illness of Professor Adeney

We regret to state that the Rev Prof F W Adeney is lying seriously ill at his residence in North End, his ailments including throat trouble, scarlet fever, pneumonia, and blood poisoning. We are glad, however, to be able to add that last night (Friday) he was in a rather more satisfactory condition than had been the case during any previous part of the week.