Kilburn & West Hampstead
Kilburn straggles along what used to be Watling Street, the old Roman Road. The picture above shows Kilburn High Road looking North, in the 1890s.
In 1714, a medicinal well was discovered, and the Bell public house said to date from 1660, opened gardens and a great room for polite company, but it never rivalled Hampstead and did not attract ‘the gentry’ in the same way as did Hampstead. For one thing, Kilburn didn't have the height or the beautiful views that Hampstead has.
For a full history of Kilburn, you cannot beat British History Online
Kilburn High Road is the boundary between Camden and Brent. Camden has the right side (as in the picture) and Brent the left hand side. When I first came here, the pubs in Camden stayed open until 11pm, but the pubs in Brent had to close at 10.30pm. Every evening at 10.30, there would be a mass exodus from the Brent side to the Camden pubs for the extra half hour of drinking time.
Kilburn High Road is also home to the Kilburn State Cinema. Opened in 1937, it was the largest cinema in Europe and had a capacity of just over 4000 seated and four thousand standing. (Imagine that now! 'Elf & Safety would have apoplexy!) Film premieres were held there and the red carpet would be laid down for the stars who arrived in their limousines to attend. Spotlights would play up and down the High Road, while the crowds congregated to see the film stars. The 130ft tower was a landmark. Now, sadly, it is a bingo hall, and the magic has gone. It is, however, a Grade 2 star listed building and thus preserved for posterity.
The lavish ceiling decoration inside the State.
West Hampstead used to be known as West End.
Brondesbury Baptist Chapel, corner of Iverson Road and Kilburn High Road. Built 1878, closed in 1980. Demolished and replaced by flats.
Emmanuel Church, Lyncroft Gardens, West End. In 1898 Emmanuel church moved from mission church in Aldred Road to the corner of Lyncroft Gardens and West End Green.
Presbyterian Church, Rondu Road. Opened in 1900, demolished around 1957 and replaced with a block of flats.
St James Congregational, Cambridge Ave (1863) Built as a temporary structure, closed by 1902. It is now occupied by the sea cadets, and is Grade II listed.
St. John The
Evangelist, Cambridge Gardens., Kilburn. Founded 1860. United
with St. Augustine's, Kilburn, 1971, opened at junction of
Carlton and Kilburn Park roads and destroyed by fire 1860. Rebuilt
1862. Closed 1971 and burnt down 1975.
Catholic Apostolic, Abbey House, Springfield Villas 1
Manchester Terrace, Kilburn (1876 closed by 1895)
St Dominic's School, Mutrix Road
Emmanuel C of E Primary (formerly West End National) 101 Mill
Cottage Home for
Destitute Orphan Girls, Mill Lane
London Artillery Brigade, No 19 Battery, 297 High Road, Kilburn
Public Houses & Taverns
The Bell, High Rd. 1885-6 William Harwood.
The Bird in Hand, West End Lane.
1939 directory: Stanley Salter. In the 1885-86 directory this address shows as G Miller, beer retailer, so it's not a very old pub.
The Black Lion, High Rd. 1874 directory - John Smalley. 1885-6 - J Smalley
(photo by Camden Council)
Brondesbury Arms, Canterbury rd. Kilburn n. w. 1874 directory - Wm. Clark,
The Cock & Hoop, West End. March 1827 - Frances Kendall, sureties Samuel Kendall, Red Lion Hill and Thomas Robert, High Street. 1885-6 - John Hall. Demolished in 1902 and replaced by Alexander Mansions.
The Cock Tavern, High Rd. 1885-6 - Acton Phillips
The Palmerston Hotel, High Rd. 1885-6 - George Shield. Later the Lord Palmerston, Built 1860, closed 1977 and re-opened as The Roman Way.
The Prince of Wales, Fortune Green. 1885-6 - John Coles
The Princess of Wales, 121 Abbey Rd/Belsize Road. 1885-6 Benjamin Heyden. Between 1897-1901 Thomas R Gifford. Rebuilt as the Lillie Langtry. Now called The Cricketers.
The Priory Tavern, Belsize Rd. 1885-6 - Samuel Shott Death
The Queens Arms, High Rd. 1885-6 - T H P Hartley
The Railway Hotel, West End Lane. 1885-6 Richard Pincham. The Railway Hotel was a famous music pub in the 60s and 70s, with clubs variously known as Klooks Kleek, The Starlight, The Moonlight. Was also known as the Rat & Parrot for a short while, when those modern names became fashionable. Fortunately, sanity prevailed.
The Red Lion, High Rd. March 1827 - James Peters, surety John Hare, Hampstead. 1885-6 John Ellis
The Victoria Tavern, High Rd. 1885-6 - Hopton Holliman.
The Volunteer Hotel, High Rd. 1885-6 J Pinn.
Salvation Army Band, Kilburn 1
A 1905 postcard of Kilburn High Road
Kilburn Grange from an old postcard
Kilburn Toll Gate 1860 from an old postcard