South Hampstead & St Johns Wood

The Virtual Tour  of
South Hampstead & St Johns' Wood

East Heath

Sandy Heath

Hampstead Village

West Heath

Home

Family History

Guestbook

Links

The picture above is South Hampstead Station, circa 1904. The house with the tall chimneys you can see just behind it was knocked down a few years ago, but rebuilt to look almost exactly the same as it was originally, as was the whole terrace. The deep railway cutting was excavated from the land where originally the mews and stabling for those houses had been. The rumbling of the heavy trains over the years caused them to shake themselves to bits.

St. Johnís Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex. Its name comes from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem  which took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.

It has also been home to Lord's cricket ground since 1814, and of course the famous Abbey Road studios. The famed zebra crossing is always thronged with tourists wanting to have their picture taken crossing it, and the front wall of the studio is always covered in messages from adoring fans. No matter how often they paint it, the next week or so, it is just as densely covered in messages as it was before.

Churches

Abbey Road Baptist Church. (c.1863)
All Souls'
, Loudoun Road, St John's Wood (c. 1865)
St Paul's, Avenue Road, St John's Wood (c 1860, demolished 1958)
New College Chapel, Upper Avenue Road, St John's Wood
St. Markís Church, Hamilton Terrace (1847)


St. Johnís Wood Church, St John's Wood High Street (1814).


Burial ground closed 1886. 

Some plaques in the church:- 

John Robert Parker late of Harley St d. 20 May 1842, also Catherine his wife d. 30th? December 1832. Also John their eldest son d. ? January 1834, Elizabeth their eldest daughter d. 31st May 1852. Also Lieut Colonel Philip Joshua Perceval late of the grenadier guards, their son in law d. 10th September 1847

Captain Hugh Cathre d.22nd April 1838 aged 53, and his only child Adelaide Rose d. 31st March 1845 aged 10y 7m. Also Claudine Olivia d/o the late Captain John Cooke of Calcutta d. 26th June 1833 aged 21, and her sister Amelia Rose Ann, w/o Ambrose Larkworthy of Bombay d. 17th July 1843 aged 33. Her two children Claudine Harriet d. 2nd March 1838 aged 3, whose remains are interred at Wyke in Dorset.  Amelia Rose Ann d. 26th January 1846 aged 14y 6m at Frankfort on the Main where her remains are deposited. Also odf Adelaide Margaret, widow of Captain Hugh Cathre and third d/o Captain John Cooke of Calcutta d. 5th? July 1879 aged 75.                

Sarah Capel, d/o John & Eleanor Capel  of Russell Square d. 2nd November 1822 aged 18. Also Eleanor Capel d. 18th December 1831 aged 59. Also John Capel d. 22nd December 1846 aged 80.

Benjamin Bond esq, who departed this life 18th March 1832 aged 68. Also Charles John Bond Esq, s/o the above,  d. 19th February 1830, aged 24. Also William Shaw Bond Esq 2nd s/o Benjamin Bond d. 2nd November 1846 aged 44. Also Elizabeth, widow of Benjamin Bond, d. 26th November 1867, interred Kensal Green Cemetery. 

Charles Binny Esq formerly of Madras d. 2nd February 1822 aged 75. 

Robert Woodmass Esq of Montague Square in this parish d. 28th Jan 1820 aged 66, Also Ann, his inestimable wife, d. 18th April 1840, aged 70. 

Robert and Ann Agnes Gillespie of York Place, their children Grace Elizabeth d. III Ferbruary MDCCCXXXII aged XIV years, Mary Ann d. XXVIII December MDCCCXXXII aged XII years. Catherine d. XIX May MDCCCXXXIII aged VII? years

Schools

All Souls C of E, Fairhazel Gardens, Belsize Rd (Founded c 1860, closed early 1950s)
South Hampstead High school (founded as St. John's Wood High 1876 in Winchester Road)

Mentioned on 1866-71 map.

Cullen & Hall, ladies' school, 10 Loudoun Rd.
Miss Louise Bush, ladies' school, 3 College Villas.
Cornwell & Johnson, school, 190 Adelaide Rd
Hay, Misses Sarah, Eliza & Isabel, preparatory school,91 Adelaide Rd
Lillington Ladies' school, Mrs Marshall, 115 Adelaide Rd.
Philip Wells, school, 1 Loudoun Road

Mentioned in 1885 directory.

Miss Fell, Ladies' School (St Hilda's College), 111 Abbey Rd.
Misses Roe, Ladies' school, 100 Adelaide Rd
William Henry Dare
, Boys' school, 142 Adelaide Rd
Mrs Hannah Williams Ladies' school, 154 Adelaide Rd.
Mrs E R Johnson, Preparatory School, 190 Adelaide Rd.
Mrs Cathcart
, Ladies' School, 117 Primrose Hill Rd.
Misses Pratt
, Ladies' School, Lorne House, 111 Alexandra Rd.
Misses Kirkman, Ladies School, 116 Alexandra Rd.

Public Houses & Taverns

The Alexandra Hotel, 21 Alexandra Rd. 1866-71 map - Mrs C Bennet. 1885-6 Charles John Coles. Alexandra Road . I think this disappeared when the Rowley Way estate was built in the late 1960s.

The Belgrave Hotel, 63 Abbey Rd. 1885-6 Mrs M E Wheeler

The Blenheim, 21 Loudoun Road. 1866-71 map - William Henry Jones.

 

 

 

 

The Britannia, Fairfax Rd. 1885-6 - John Stokes. 1874

directory -  William Hall Robotham. Now a Tesco Express, much against the locals' wishes.

The Clifton Hotel, Clifton Hill

The Prince Arthur, Boundary Road. 1885-6 Mrs Mary Ann Clegg

The Victoria Tavern, 83 Abbey Rd. 1885-6 Miss A E White

 

 

East Heath

Sandy Heath

Hampstead Village

West Heath

Home

Family History

Guestbook

Links