According to John Norden, a 16th century cartographer, St Pancras
raised the first altar to Christ in Britain, anterior to the Saxon
invasion. He added that in his day, the church was all alone as
utterly forsaken, old and weather beaten, but that it yielded
nothing to Paule's in London for antiquity.
Old St Pancras Church
The plaque on the fence around the
The Hardy Tree, Old St Pancras Churchyard, London
"....... Thomas Hardy "studied architecture in London from 1862-67
under Mr. Arthur Blomfield, an architect based in Covent Garden.
During the 1860s the Midland Railway line was being built over part
of the original St. Pancras Churchyard. Blomfield was commissioned
by the Bishop of London to supervise the proper exhumation of human
remains and dismantling of tombs. He passed this unenviable task to
his protegé Thomas Hardy in. c.l865. Hardy would have spent many
hours in St. Pancras Churchyard . . . overseeing the careful removal
of bodies and tombs from the land on which the railway was being
built. The headstones around this ash tree (Fraxinus excelsior)
would have been placed here about that time. Note how the tree has
since grown in amongst the stones....."
King's Cross bore the name Battle
Bridge until 1830,